A portray by the late artist Jean-Michel Basquiat has bought at public sale in New York for $110.5m (£85.4m).
That’s practically double the worth of his earlier most costly work, purchased by the identical individual a yr in the past.
It has damaged a number of different data together with turning into the costliest work by any US artist.
It’s also the very best worth fetched for any artwork by a black artist and the primary piece created since 1980 to interrupt the $100m mark.
The untitled work was completed in oil stick, acrylic and spray paint, and depicts a face within the form of a cranium.
It was bought to Yusaku Maezawa, a 41-year-old Japanese trend entrepreneur who plans to arrange a museum in his dwelling city of Chiba.
Learn extra from BBC Tradition:Jean-Michel Basquiat: The life and work behind the legend
Bidding for the piece through the public sale at Sotheby’s lasted 10 tense minutes. Cheers and applause erupted within the room when the work was bought to Mr Maezawa by phone.
He later posted on Instagram that the portray made him really feel “a lot pleasure and gratitude for my love of artwork”, a sense he wished to share with “as many individuals as doable”.
Mr Maezawa final yr set the earlier file for a Basquiat piece, when he paid $57.3m for a portray of a horned satan.
Basquiat, a local New Yorker, died in 1988 of a heroin overdose aged 27. He had been an artist for simply seven years.
Most of his works depict the issues confronted by African Individuals within the US, reviews the BBC’s Laura Bicker in Washington.
As soon as a graffiti insurgent from Brooklyn who bought drawings for $50, he’s now in the identical league as Pablo Picasso and Francis Bacon, she says – a part of a uncommon group of artists whose work has bought for greater than $100m at public sale.
“Breaking $100m for a piece which is that current is unquestionably extraordinary,” mentioned Gregoire Billault, head of up to date artwork at Sotheby’s.
“I feel it simply speaks concerning the expertise of this man. It is simply pure emotion. He is bringing one thing by no means seen earlier than.”
- Born in 1960 in Brooklyn, New York, to a Haitian father and mom of Puerto Rican descent
- Dropped out of secondary faculty on the age of 15, and attended Metropolis-As-Faculty, another faculty for inventive college students
- A part of graffiti duo SAMO, which wrote phrases round Manhattan within the early 1970s
- Left dwelling in 1978, started to promote hand-painted postcards and T-shirts to earn a living – together with one postcard bought to Andy Warhol
- Art work first proven publicly at The Instances Sq. Present in 1980 – his first solo exhibition a yr later introduced him to consideration of the artwork world
- Turned established as an artist with many worldwide exhibitions through the 1980s, however buddies turned more and more involved about his drug use
- Died on 12 August 1988, of a heroin overdose, in his Manhattan artwork studio