RIO DE JANEIRO — A large fireplace tore by means of a 200-year-old museum in Rio de Janeiro late Sunday, lighting up the evening and sending massive plumes of smoke into the air. Firefighters labored to place out the blaze on the esteemed Nationwide Museum in northern Rio, which homes artifacts from Egypt, Greco-Roman artwork and among the first fossils present in Brazil.
In an announcement, the museum mentioned the blaze started round 7:30 p.m. There have been no reported accidents and the fireplace started after it had closed to the general public, mentioned the assertion. It wasn’t instantly clear how the fireplace started.
In an announcement, President Michel Temer mentioned it was “a tragic day for all Brazilians.”
“200 years of labor, investigation and data have been misplaced,” mentioned Temer. “The worth of our historical past can’t be measured by the injury to the constructing.”
BBC Information experiences that the museum, which as soon as served because the residence for the Portuguese royal household, celebrated its 200-year anniversary earlier this 12 months. BBC says the museum incorporates greater than 20 million objects in its assortment.
Linked to the Federal College of Rio de Janeiro, the museum has expositions that embrace anthropology, archaeology and paleontology, amongst others.
The vice director of the museum, Luiz Fernando Dias Duarte, instructed Globo information the museum suffered persistent underfunding.
“Everyone needs to be supportive now. We by no means had satisfactory help,” he mentioned. He referred to as it a “cultural tragedy.”
Brazil has struggled to emerge from itsin a long time. The state of Rio de Janeiro has been significantly arduous hit in recent times because of a mix of falling oil costs, mismanagement and .
Sgt. Moises Torres from the state’s firefighting headquarters mentioned firefighters have been working to place out the blaze.
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This materials might not be printed, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Related Press contributed to this report.