The Co-op has been fined £400,000 over the dying of a person who slipped on water leaking from a defective sandwich chiller.
Stanley Might, 74, died two days after hitting his head on the ground within the Truro department of the grocery store in July 2015.
Truro Crown Court docket heard the chiller had been defective for 44 hours however prospects may nonetheless enter the moist space.
The Co-op beforehand pleaded responsible to a Well being and Security offence of failing to guard prospects.
Extra on Co-op dying and different Cornwall and Devon tales
Engineers had tried to repair the chiller two days earlier, nevertheless it had continued to leak on to the vinyl flooring.
A yellow “moist flooring” signal had been used, however the affected space prolonged past it.
Decide Simon Carr stated what occurred was “so simply avoidable”.
He added: “The corporate tried to handle the issue however did so inadequately.”
Mr Might had three kids and 6 grandchildren and was described as “an distinctive man in good well being” by the choose.
The previous chairman of St Enoder Parish Council, he was a member of the Co-op and used to go to their outlets most days.
Talking exterior the courtroom, Mr Might’s daughter Victoria Parsons stated: “We would identical to all people to be taught that this was so simply prevented; if they’d stored an eye fixed on that water my dad would nonetheless be alive at this time.”
The defence learn an announcement from Christopher Whitfield, retail and logistics director on the Co-operative Group, through which he stated: “He (Mr Might) ought to have been stored protected whereas strolling in our retailer.
“It’s a matter of utmost remorse that he was not.”
The courtroom awarded £50,000 in prices to Cornwall Council which introduced the prosecution.